Monday, September 11, 2017

What I DIDN'T do on my summer vacation--the Irma adventure. Chapter 1: Getting down there.

Usually, I like to do a quick: fun things I did when not on my boat posting.

Not this time.

Last week I should have been enjoying the beautiful Black Hills absorbing some Wild West history. Gold Mines, Mt. Rushmore and the like.

Nope.

We made it about as far as Nebraska when I woke up and checked the latest on Irma on Labor Day morning.

Damn. Damndamndamndamn.

Woke up Tim and said: We gotta go.  We need to get to Key West.

So, we packed up and started heading home.  While I drove Tim made arrangements to fly down and rent car, etc etc.  We called and ordered extra line and chafe guard.

I might add that in the duration of the 4-5 hour drive back home, we changed our plans about 3 times. That night, since sleeping wasn't an option, I booked us refundable hotels in about 3 different locations.  However, it was hard to know how long we'd be in the Keys and where we'd be able to leave.

Soonest we could leave was Tuesday because of the holiday we couldn't get our dogs dropped off. Oh, yeah and we were in NEBRASKA.

Tuesday:  On the ATL to Key West flight we get boarded and the ground attendant got on the plane.
"Folks, we have just been informed that all hotels are closing and you will not be able to check in."  If you are just travelling for pleasure we ask you get off the plane now, and we'll rebook you.  Mandatory tourist evacuation was to start at 7am Wednesday.

About 8 people got off the flight and the rest of us were, seriously?  Do you NOT watch the news?  However, they were able to get some standbys on that desperately needed to get to the Keys.

Key West flights are usually pretty upbeat, tipsy and chatty.  This was pretty quiet except to talk about Irma.

Moral of the story here: Act quick, have different options that you can change/cancel later. Reserving hotel rooms early was a good move.


No comments:

Post a Comment