Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Heading back..


When we started back, the winds were fluky, but at least agreeable.  So we got to sail about 6 miles or so.

Then, they started getting fluky and disagreeable, and on the nose.  So, back on came the engine, down came the main.  We were going to try to keep just off the wind so that our head sail could steady out the boat (we wouldn't be bouncing in the chop).

That lasted about 4-5 more nm and then mother nature said, no, I'm going to be right on your nose.

We would have been fine if the prevailing wind had it's normal northerly component, but due to a pesky high pressure system, our beautiful weather came with a beautiful southerly shift to the wind.

We were sailing south of island chain, so falling off was not an option.

Finally, I gave up and we took in the head sail and I just got over to nice deep water (Tim loves sailing his shallows), and pointed her home.

Tim went to eat, so I asked for snacks up in the cockpit.  Our galley window opens into the cockpit and it has become a food service window.  Awesome.  It started getting out of control though, first cheese stick, then slices of ham and turkey, then fish dip, then water, then coconut water. Okay, honey, thanks for looking out for me.

At approximately 10nm from our slip, I get the announcement.  We have cell service again!  I think even the boat breathed a sigh of relief.

It was a work day for Tim, so I stayed up in the cockpit on watch (poor me) while Tim worked.  We were getting closer to Key West and the deep ship channels so our weeble wobble was getting worse.
Hey, wait! We have an adjustable keel.

I lowered it to about 6 feet, much better on the weeble wobble.  Told Tim. Of course, he doesn't buy into it.  Well, lets have an experiment, dude.  Yes, more keel, less rock the boat.  I just added to my check list--when entering channel pull keel up or boat will ground.

Mother Nature wasn't through messing with us and decided to send a squall right as I was trying to locate our channel marker (there are two sets and between them 1-2 feet of water).

We did much better getting back to the marina with the big girl than our first try.  Headsets back on, docking was quite easy.  And the marina didn't have to hear me say--"I swear to god, Tim, if you leave that helm I will beat you with this boat hook."

No comments:

Post a Comment