Friday, January 16, 2015

Making a commando maintenance trip

In November, I got to be the bilge rat, mainly because I am more flexible than Tim, and even at nearly six feet tall I can be quite the contortionist.  Although I realize as I get older, my body is starting to give me warnings that if I don't watch out, I'll be staying in whatever contortion for the rest of my life.

This time, Tim's turn.  First, it was getting to Key West.  Tim wants to just take a carry on--no problem, until he shows me what he got.  A little baggie filled with an ICOM antenna, a wiring harness, some crack sealer, and a battery.

Nope, there's been no terrorist activity in the world AT ALL lately, so that's not going to bring any attention at all.  Evidently it didn't, because he made it through.  So, that should tell you something about the rentacops over at MCI.

As we had on Hemisphere Dancer, we are installing an alarm system.  This one has a bit more features than our old one (except for awesome dance music when you open the companionway).  We already tested the preliminary install last time.  It has geo-fencing, so if it goes on the move, Tim and I will get a text (or our boat sitter).  It has the standard motion sensor alarm, bilge alarm, low battery alarm, and it has the ability for a couple of remote alarm so we can run a wire through the lock on the dinghy and if it gets cut, voila.  I believe it can also light up your boat and sound a piercing alarm--but baby steps to get that wired up.  We just need the basics for now.

It's amazing how much more affordable they are getting, and our insurance company likes it.

His other project fall under the category of:  If somebody doesn't want to take your money, then you just might as well do it yourself.  This would be phase 1 of the head replacement.  So, first thing, get the tank monitors working correctly.  Also, he flushed the system with muriatic acid--our heads are sea water and not fresh water, so I am pretty sure we have 12 years of crud there.  He said it's already helped a bit.  He plans to pull the forward holding tank tomorrow to see if there is spillage from the previous owner under it, lucky him.

We discovered through measuring, researching, measuring, researching that there is nothing that will be able to replace the forward head except the newer version of a LAVAC.  Not ideal, but as long as it works.  The aft head has tons of room so we are going to put something different in there.  That will also give us a one manual, one electric set up.

The good part is that it's relatively cool right now in Key West, so that makes boat projects so much easier than when it's baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment