Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Have boat, will break it.

Not me! Not me! Not me!

Okay, only one thing can be attributed to my spouse and his need to use the power winch in inappropriate manners.

So-----here goes: DON'T USE YOUR JIB SHEET POWER WINCH ON THE JIB FURLER. PERIOD.  Especially when the sail is under load, like 20kts under load.  The captain got demoted to Gilligan after that maneuver, but our furler guardian angels came and were able to fix without too much dent to our pocket book.  (and I got to sit there and smirk while they went to Tim--WTF did you do THAT for?)

But in my lovely husband's defense, he breaks the boat, I usually work on breaking myself.  Boat heals faster.

So our most recent trip, maybe because our luck has been SO fabulous lately, Tim suggests we try our windlass out before actually anchoring in a 2kt tidal zone.  Okay.

So what is supposed to be down only goes CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Anchor doesn't move. Shit.

After some debate, we still decide to go anchor out at Bahia Honda, there's absolutely no wind and if we can get the anchor and chain down and set, the boat will be fine.  Windlass is working in the UP position just fine.

So after three tries, we get anchor, some of it to do with the fact that Elysium handles like a tank, good in choppy waters and wave action, but not when you are trying to anchor amongst other boats and two bridge spans.  Of course, when we go to shore, the peanut gallery was there with their commentary.  To my credit, I didn't even say stuff it.

We did get some grief from the tour boat, but we were not blocking his way and he was in a twin screw pontoon--he could stuff it.

More pics of Bahia Honda later...  oh, and we are 0-2 in anchoring without incident in Bahia Honda. It's not a hard anchorage, but it seems to make our boats go...um, no.


No comments:

Post a Comment