Saturday, November 18, 2017

New additions to the Hunsinger boat rulebook

1.  From here on out, we shall NEVER let somebody sight unseen handle our boat, move our boat, look funny at our boat.  Never.

Our boat needed to be moved to have the generator replaced and a boat captain (supposedly from Boat US) moved it for us.  They were also SUPPOSED to contact Tim and have a chit chat with him about the boat. Nope,  and evidently said Capt. and/or crew didn’t go to “how to tie off a boat” school because when I got to the boat last night I almost didn’t have a way on.

High tide and the boat is three feet from the dock.  I am tall, but come on folks.

So it turned into a tug boat really hard (my back says, gee thanks) get ladder down, tug really hard again and do this Spider-Man swing maneuver over onto ladder.  Oh, and it’s dark out. NO lights.  I planned for how can I fall in the drink without concussing myself.  Success. Heart rate through roof.

Now, to retie boat.  First, trip over extra dock lines that weren’t stowed away or even nicely coiled up.  Roll my foot on more dock line and power cord, grab for lifeline, but our usually not used gate is WIDE open.  WTF?  Averted going into drink again (one hand for the boat).

Start working on dock lines and evidently our boat mover didn’t go to cleat hitch class either.  I thought I was going to have to involve a marlin spike or knife.  Holy sweet crap, really, really pissed by now.

Now, if a so-called professional captain moves your boat, you’d think he know not to do all these things? Right?

So, from here on out, boat doesn’t move without us knowing the person.

2. Make sure anybody on boat doing work doesn’t think they are doing you a solid by leaving the A/C on.

After finally accessing the boat, get down below, doing my routine fire up the boat. However, A/C pump and salon A/C are on. But, but, but....not working.  Oh, blown breaker, I got this. Get off boat, recheck all connections. Get back on boat.

Realize, oh, they left our A/C on.  While we are not here, so its been running for almost two weeks, which means, the strainer is clogged.  Clogged strainer, pump overheats, shuts down, blows breaker.
Our pedestal is still in dubious working order since the hurricane.

At this point, I am not digging all the crap out of the work room to pull up floor panels to access the thru-hulls.  70 degrees with winds from the north, boat was just fine.

Next morning, I dig out everything and the seacock was CLOSED.  What?  Who the hell is doing work on my boat?  They must have thought they closed the generator seacock, they are same size and side by side, but closed the a/c. Forgot? Who knows.  So, open it up, and yes, despite being closed, it was jammed full of all sorts of nastiness.

Very grateful our a/c pump has a great thermal switch off, it saved it from burning up, and possibly burning the boat down.

Moral of this story: Leave note that a/c does NOT remain on after job is finished.

Ironically, all that work, and I haven’t been running the a/c (Tim not on boat obviously....)

No comments:

Post a Comment