Saturday, November 29, 2014

"Head" ache

Elysium is equipped with two Lavac heads.  From the immediate get go, I did not like them. I have used them on other boats before, just don't like them.

Researched a lot, and some people swear by them, say they are bullet proof.

But, I've noticed a lot more people DON'T say nice things about them, mainly seals and valves and pumps failing on them.

Of course, since I'm sure it was one of them many things that routine maintenance hasn't been done on, ours are giving us fits.  Back flow into the toilet, not flushing properly, just annoying in general.

And for those of you who are not familiar with Lavacs, here's what we are dealing with (x 2):

From top to bottom:
Tank indicator (not working)
Top valve indicating to tank or to sea
Handle for flushing (yes, it's a bilge pump)
Bottom valve saying from head or from tank
Toilet itself with rubberized seal

So to flush, make sure valves are in the from head to tank mode (or you will be pumping to sea either from the head or from the tank).  Insert handle, pump 8-10 times, wait 5 seconds, pump 5-6 more times. Yeah, absolutely no problem with that.  Because when I'm underway and prone to seasickness I want to be doing this shit. (no pun intended)


This entire process is run by essentially two Henderson pumps (bilge pump), ideally to create a vacuum.  Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not too keen on using the equivalent of a bilge pump to flush my toilet.  Nope.

Add the fact that they haven't been maintained.....lets say we've had to evacuate ship a couple of times and let it air out.  Not cool.

So, our NEW best friend is Perry, the Head Honcho, Perry is going to assess our head needs and get us something that is effective, water efficient (as in, not filling up the holding tank) and won't drive me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment