Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Fun with VHF


Tim went down and upgraded our VHF to one that will have DSC/AIS receiver, it is SUPPOSED to be able to work with our chart plotter, but I haven't really figured that out.

Our new VHF comes with two wireless handsets, that can also---wait for it---double as walkie talkies on the boat.  Think intercom system.

So we tested it, and I was getting testy, nice honey, but I'm sort of helming the boat through a busy area right now so can we play with these later.

Tim goes down below to lay down---THINKING that the VHF was still in intercom mode--but I had switched mine over to be a VHF because......I was in a busy area and was listening for those all important "all concerned vessels should stand by on 16" which means anything from the Fast Cat Ferry, USCG big boy ships, cruise ships, or one of the 14,000 excursion boats that leave from downtown Key West.

Weeeellll, evidently......when you switch one handset back to VHF mode, they BOTH switch.

Annnnnnddddd....evidently, my spouse was down below broadcasting on 16: "That's why I got these, so we can talk"  (quote/unquote)

He comes back upstairs laughing his ass off because he realized what he said went out on 16.

I'm very happy he didn't decide to say something MUCH worse.  Which is a good reason that we are keeping our 'no alcohol while' underway policy enforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment