Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Heading home. Forecast lied. It always lies.

So, with our nifty little Delorme Satellite tracker we can download forecasts to our iPads, and the Park Ranger also posts.

Well, in whatever planet they were on, they forecast 17kt wind from ENE and 2 foot waves.

Not quite.

More like 20 kt winds and 5 foot seas at 2-3 sec intervals.  On the nose.  On the nose. On the nose.

And the queasies started with me. ShitShitShit.  I think it was I was expecting the worst and it was coming to fruition.  So, mental started it up.

I ate some Cuban crackers (seriously, there's a reason why you find Cuban crackers and sea sickness meds by an abandoned chug--they work!)  Chilled for a bit and the queasy went away!  Holy crap, YAY SCOPALAMINE!

So we spent our first 6 hours just bashing away through open water.  We knew it would start calming down about Rebecca Shoal Light because the water shallows out.  In retrospect--we should have gone of the wind just a bit and thrown up a bit of canvas to create a less crappy ride. But....we didn't.

My anchoring dude--I was channel chick, so I had the helm--did not make sure our decks were clear before leaving, so our snubber danced all over the deck.  We expected to lose it as we dived into the swells, but it rode the entire trip home.


No comments:

Post a Comment