Friday, October 6, 2017

The critters

One last thought about Irma.

The animals.

They don't know the full extent of the effects of the Key West Deer, but they know there's enough to propagate.

Sea turtles/manatees/dolphin--several heroic rescue stories concerning them.

Key West was remarkably devoid of it's normal chicken racket.  Roosters silent.  We found a bunch of chickens up in a tree. A week later. They still weren't ready to come down. A couple of roosters that were on the ground were like begging little puppies, got any food?

Walking around the marina I saw Iggy and Kermit, my two iguana buddies. Was so happy to see them. They were also still staggering around like a bacherlorette party on Duval street. I think they were thinking: now, I know my tree used to have leaves. What is up with that?

What broke my heart though was watching the Ospreys on the way down.  None of the nesting towers were around that I could see.  The nests were definitely gone.  So, they are just flying around in circles confused.  I watched one from our marina, and you could just hear it call out over and over.

Hurricanes suck.




No comments:

Post a Comment